The Statue of Unity, the world’s tallest statue, was unveiled on October 31st, 2018, in Kevadia, Gujarat. The sculpture is a homage to India’s “Iron Man,” Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel. There are five zones on the Statue of Unity. Out of five, only three are available to the masses. A memorial garden and museum, an exhibition space, and a viewing room with an accommodation of 200 visitors are among the zones. This Viewing Gallery located at a height of 153 meters supplies a fantastic view of the Sardar Sarovar Dam, its reservoir, and the Satpura and Vindhya mountain ranges. The other two zones are a supervision area and an approaching zone. They are near the statue’s head and shoulders, all of which are off-limits to the general crowd.
Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel
Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel was India’s first home minister. He was a pivotal figure in India’s independence battle and was in charge of bringing the country’s 562 princely states together to form the Republic of India. By his virtue, today we can tour India’s beautiful and fertile areas, from Kutch to Kohima, Kargil, or Kanyakumari.
Key Features About the Statue of Unity
- Unity Statue costs approximately 3,000 crore rupees. The project started in 2014 and ended in 2018.
- The 182-meter (about 600-foot) statue honors Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, the architect of India’s independence. The giant memorial, that stands over the Narmada River, is a tribute to India ‘from the people of Gujarat’ and to the leader who prioritized the welfare of the people.
- The statue overlooks the Narmada River and the massive Sardar Sarovar Dam.
- On the Sadhu Bet mountaintop, there is a statue symbolizing unity. The statue is accessible by a 300-meter bridge that connects the mainland to the statue.
- The state administration had encouraged Indian farmers to contribute their utilized farming tools as part of a project outreach drive to accumulate iron for the Sardar Patel statue. It is calculated that around 5000 tonnes of iron will be retrieved in total.
- Inside the monument, there is an in-house museum with facts on the design and history of the commander.
- Except for Monday, every evening a laser light and sound performance are tossed on the Statue of Unity.
- An amazing narration of Sardar Patel’s life and achievements in the Independence Movement complements the multicolored laser illumination technology.
Sardar Sarovar Dam, Statue of Unity Rd, Kevadia, Gujarat 393155
Best time to visit:
Though the location is open all throughout the year, the best time to visit is during the months of October to February.
Statue of Unity Visit Timing:
Saturday 8 am–6 pm
Sunday 8 am–6 pm
Tuesday 8 am–6 pm
Wednesday 8 am–6 pm
Thursday 8 am–6 pm
Friday 8 am–6 pm
The Statue of Unity is open from Tuesday to Sunday, 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. The Laser Light and Sound Show is open daily from 7:30 p.m. until midnight, excluding Mondays.
Statue of Unity Ticket Price
There are four different ticket types.
- Basic Entry Ticket: The cost of the Basic Entry Ticket, which grants access to the Monument, Museum, Exhibition Areas, Projection Mapping display, Valley of Flowers, Sardar Sarovar Dam Viewpoints, and Bus Service, is ₹150 for Adults and ₹90 for Children between the ages of 3 and 15.
- Viewing Gallery Ticket: All the advantages of the “Basic Entry Ticket” are included with the “Viewing Gallery Ticket,” plus entry to the Statue of Unity Viewing Gallery. For all that you’ll need to buy a viewing gallery ticket, which costs 380 for adults and 230 for kids.
- Express Entry Ticket: You can choose the Express Entry Ticket if you want to visit the Statue of Unity Viewing Gallery without having to wait in line for the elevators. This ticket, which costs 1030 for both adults and kids, includes all the benefits of the Basic and Viewing Gallery Tickets, as well as the advantage of priority elevator access, which can be quite helpful on busier days.
- Foreigner Express Entry Ticket: The final entry ticket type, called a Foreigner Express Entry Ticket, is only available to visitors from other countries. This ticket, which costs INR 1530 for adults and INR 830 for children, is for all foreign visitors who are not citizens of India and comes with all the advantages of the “Express Entry Ticket.”
Depending upon the package selected the Statue of Unity Booking Price may vary. The Statue of Unity’s standard entry ticket is priced at 120 for adults and 60 for children. It grants you access to the Statue of Unity location, the Sardar Sarovar Dam, the Valley of Flowers memorial, the museum, and audio visual gallery.
Nearby Places to Visit
- Valley of Flowers: The Valley of Flowers (also known as Bharat Van) is a paradise for colorful flowering plants along the Narmada River’s bank, spanning 24 acres. In 2016, the Valley of Flowers has 48000 plants planted. The latest count has since grown to 22,00,000 plants. Picture booths and selfie spots have been in the valley. These spots help tourists recall their visit. The site resembles a rainbow of flowers arranged on the ground. This garden has around 300 different flower varieties.
- Sardar Sarovar Dam: The Sardar Sarovar Dam is India’s third-highest concrete dam (163 meters) and the second largest in the world. The concrete volume used has a total volume of 6.82 million cubic meters, only after the Grand Coulee Dam in the United States, which has a total volume of 8.0 million cubic meters.
- Nauka Vihar: Gujarat State Forest Development Corp. Ltd has ventured a boat ride at Dyke-3, also known as Panchmuli Lake, in Kevadia. Tourists visiting Kevadia can also take benefit from the pure landscape by taking a boat trip. Each ride lasts 45 minutes in total. The vegetation and fauna in the area encircling the lake are incredibly diverse. For sightseers, this boating facility has evolved into a prevalent destination.
- Cactus Garden: The Cactus Garden is a one-of-a-kind botanical garden at the Statue of Unity site. It showcases a wide range of cacti and succulents. It delivers a taste of the desert ecosystem in the midst of a landmass. There are 6 lakh plants illustrating 450 species spread throughout 25 acres of open land and 836 square meters inside the dome.
- Children’s Nutrition Park The park gives high-quality entertainment as well as important information to youngsters about healthy eating habits and nutritional values.
Why in News?
The cast and crew of RRR began their promotional trip across the country. Director SS Rajamouli, actors Ram Charan and Jr NTR paid a visit to the Statue of Unity in Kevadia, Gujarat. With their signature handshake pose, Ram Charan and Jr NTR promote RRR at the Statue of Unity. They also posed with Rajamouli in front of a crowd of fans and visitors who had arrived to see the stars.
The Unity Statue at Kevadia has been a source of national pride. Nearly 75 lakh people have visited the Statue of Unity despite the pandemic. There is no doubt that such locations will push our identity as a nation, as well as tourism, to new heights.